We’re glad you’re interested in being a part of SpiralScouts International (SSI)!
Starting a SpiralScouts Charter is a rewarding opportunity to bring fun, adventure and life-long memories to your family and your community. While you have the support of SpiralScouts International every step of the way, starting a Charter in your area will require your enthusiastic commitment to follow our step-by-step process. To begin with, you’ll need to register with us as a ProtoCharter (or PC). A ProtoCharter is what we call new groups or families who are interested in starting a SpiralScouts Charter and who are going through the specific SSI Chartering process. It is our beginning training period, therefore a ProtoCharter is NOT an official SSI Charter until all steps have been completed.
Only ONE person from your group or family needs to register with us as a ProtoCharter – that person is called the PC Organizer. If that is you – CONGRATULATIONS! You can find the link to get started below.
By registering with us as a PC, you will be led through the steps to start your Charter. There are two kinds of SpiralScouts Charters –
- Hearth – this is a single family Charter. It includes the (child)ren between the ages of 3-18 years and their legal guardian(s).
- Circle – this is a multi-family Charter. It includes two or more families with children between the ages of 3-18 years and a minimum of two Registered Adults.
Registering as a ProtoCharter gives you the following benefits:
- As the PC Organizer, you are given three months to gather interest in your community and find fellow leaders or volunteers who want to be a part of your SpiralScouts adventure. You will have access to use the SpiralScouts name and logo for advertising your plans to begin a new Charter within your community.
- Automatic inclusion in the ProtoCharters email list where new PCs can work together with the help of our Staff to organize their Charter and work through all the chartering details.
- Access to order chartering materials (PowerPoint presentation, brochures, etc).
- Your ProtoCharter will be listed on the SpiralScouts website.
- The PC Organizer will be given access to a first-step initial training called PC Training. *Please note: Only the PC Organizer will complete the PC Training. All interested Registered Adults from your group will complete a separate training later on in the Chartering process.
Guidelines for ProtoCharters:
As a ProtoCharter, you are only in the beginning steps of becoming an official SpiralScouts Charter. Therefore…
- ProtoCharters cannot open bank accounts.
- All fundraising must be approved in advance by SpiralScouts HQ.
- Donations and fundraising monies may be used for chartering expenses only. All donations must be sent to SpiralScouts HQ to be kept on account here for chartering expenses.
- ProtoCharters cannot order badges or other “members only” items until they receive official Charter status.
- ProtoCharters have very limited access to Scout and Leader handbooks. Our Staff is authorized to give information from the handbooks to answer specific questions on the ProtoCharters list, but will not give out entire handbook files.
- ProtoCharters cannot hold “scout” meetings or field trips – only organizational meetings. Parents must accompany children to meetings. The main purposes of these organizational meetings are to:
- Gather together interested families who want to join your Circle
- Gather together other adults who want to be co-leaders and volunteers to take on some of the responsibilities to help your Charter run smoothly
- Discuss the ideas and plans you have for bringing SpiralScouts International to your community
- BUILD EXCITEMENT!
- As the PC Organizer, you have three months to complete all the steps for becoming a Charter (Circle or Hearth). If not chartered within this time period an extension may be requested, which will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Any ProtoCharter operating outside these guidelines (including, but not limited to unauthorized collection of money, or any other infringement of these guidelines) will lose ProtoCharter status, and may be reported to the appropriate authorities at the discretion of SpiralScouts International HQ.
Once you fill out the ProtoCharter Application (link below) and after it has been processed by our Staff, you will be issued a specific number (PC#) which you will use to identify yourself with during your Chartering process. The three month date of expiration for your ProtoCharter is based upon when you fill out your PC Application. The ProtoCharter process is the ONLY way to access the official SSI chartering information. To charter a group, you must use your given ProtoCharter number, and you must follow our step-by-step process.
Please click the ProtoCharter Application to continue.
For more answers regarding the SSI Chartering Process please visit our: