Back to Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimum number of people we need to get started?
For a Circle you need two leaders, preferably one male and one female. Required ratios of adults to children of different ages are:
- RainDrops and FireFlies must have a minimum of two registered and trained adults for 10 or fewer children, and an additional registered and trained adult for every 5 additional children.
- SpiralScouts must have a minimum of two registered and trained adults for 14 or fewer children, with an additional registered and trained adult for every 7 additional children.
- PathFinders must have a minimum of two registered and trained adults for 24 or fewer children, and an additional registered and trained adult for every 12 additional children.
What do I need to do to charter a Circle?
Start by following the directions for joining the ProtoCircles program, our program for groups in the chartering process. Once at least two adults have come forward to be leaders, file your charter application packet. Include the charter application, leader applications, background checks, head-shot photo of each leader, scout registrations and registration fees. Send all forms into SpiralScouts International, Inc. at once. DO NOT send in partially completed packages. Applications without all the necessary paperwork will not be processed. All the information and forms you will need are in the PC Packet.
How do I charter a Hearth?
Chartering a Hearth is identical to chartering a Circle, except that only one leader is required. See the instructions for chartering a Circle.
How long does it take to charter a Circle/Hearth?
If all the paperwork is completed correctly, generally 4-6 weeks. We suggest sending your charter application packet via priority mail to ensure timely arrival.
What offices/roles are needed in a new Circle?
For a Circle, you need two leaders, usually one male and one female. Many Circles develop a support committee, whose members come from the parents of children in the group, the community at large, and/or your sponsors.
What other information can I get before I start a Circle?
Feel free to ask questions on the main SpiralScouts facebook page and read the archives. Many of your questions have already been asked and answered. By becoming a ProtoCircle, you gain access to basic training and mentoring by our New Charters Coordinator and several other established leaders who can answer any questions you may have.
What fees are involved?
- Hearth ProtoCircle Packets are $20, Circles are $25.
- Circle Charter fees are $50, renewable annually for $30.
- Hearth Charter fees are $25, renewable annually for $20.
- Individual memberships are $25, renewable annually for $15.
- Background checks for US members are $10, to be renewed every 3 years. Overseas checks vary by country.